NRA Basic Pistol
This course is at least 8-hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; pistol parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting from the bench rest position, and two handed standing positions; cleaning the pistol; and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, take a Basics of Pistol Shooting Student Examination, and course completion certificate. (Lesson Plan 2nd edition, 2009, 02/11)
Cost of Class: $100 per student, includes range and classroom fees. There is a discount for current Oakdale gun club members.
Length of Class: 8 hours, depending on the number of students and amount of discussion
- Safe firearm handling
- Firearm parts and operation
- Ammunition and its function
- Shooting fundamentals and an opportunity to develop them on the range
- How to select, clean and store a firearm
- Review of various activities available to help participants
- Developing shooting skills
With all of our firearms classes it must be legal for you to possess a firearm. Other than that, there are no prerequisites for this class. Just bring an open mind and a good attitude.
What to Bring
- Hearing protection, foam ear plugs are provided free of charge.
- Eye protection, we will loan you eye protection free of charge or you can buy a set for a nominal fee.
- At least 30 rounds of ammunition for the handgun you bring
- A handgun, if you do not have one we can rent you one for $30, this includes ammunition for the gun.